Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My First Free Ticket to the Alley

This is the x-rated uncensored version of a piece I wrote for my jobs newsletter:

My first experience at the Alley Theatre was in the lovely winter of 2004. I was just a simple college student taking Intro to Theatre for what I think was the third time (I’m bad with introductions). As part of this Intro to Theatre class I was required to attend a production of any play at any theatre. Knowing that my friend Lauren Gayden worked at the Alley, I used all the dirt I had accumulated on her and demanded she give me a ticket to the current production, A Christmas Carol. 

I arrived at the theatre early, eager, and ready to enjoy the show. I entered the theatre confused, bewildered, and alone. Using all of my keen Webalo skills, I followed a group of people who were dressed in attire that put mine to shame (a VERY normal occurrence for me). I followed these well dressed shepherds and proceeded to what I now know was the will call line.  I was greeted by a lovely woman who politely told me that, “The Alley Theatre is across the street sir, please leave. And no, I don’t have any change for you.” After making the long journey across Smith Street, I had finally arrived.  The Tony Award winning Alley Theatre.  One big piece of fucking concrete.

When I arrived at the Alley I was greeted by friendly faces. I asked for my ticket at will call and I was given a small piece of paper that said 'Walk-In'. I was immediately filled with anger. “Lauren has done it again! I wanted a ticket! I’ll show that bitch!” It was at this time someone from the box office assured me that I would be able to attend the performance and I had nothing to be worried about. (fuckng liar) Undaunted, I marched on upstairs, small piece of paper in hand, uncertain of what the Alley had in store for me. Would these assholes laugh at me and my tiny slip of paper? Would they see me for the fraud that I truly was? Would the end of LOST live up to that amazing pilot? Voice-cracking  I asked the usher, ”Where do I go with this?” and I was lead upstairs and made to wait in a corner.

It was a dark time in that corner. Minutes felt like hours. Time seemed to stop. I saw seas of families with their happy children eager to attend this play they called A Christmas Carol. “What are they planning to do to me?” , I wondered. Then I heard bells. The bells you hear when time has run out. The play was about to begin and I was still exiled in my corner scared and alone. I panicked and ran to the nearest usher pleading to be allowed to enter the theatre. “Not just yet, sir. Soon.” How could this bitch be so calm? What the fuck was she plotting? Was she planning my demise? Could I kill her and get away with it? Before I could calculate my plan I was taken into the theatre. Section 5, Row Q, Seat 8. I still remember.

And so the play started. It didn't suck and I probably had a smile on my face bigger than the many children I stood judging mere minutes before. I didn’t know at the time that this was the beginning of my life at the Alley and if i did I would have told myself to get the fuck out of there.

Picture of the Week



No comments: