Saturday, September 05, 2009

They say don't drink the water, we need it for the fire

This week I come to terms with my inner demon, the nine-tailed beast….

As I am sure all of you know I use to work at a Smoothie King.   It was a shitty job.  I had to stand on my feet all day.  My boss would randomly drive by and look at us from his car to make sure we weren't sitting down and resting.  It was a thankless job with very low pay.  The store I worked at was in the richest neighborhood in Houston.  Local star athletes would frequent the store and so would rich douchebags.  As there was a local private school a block away I would get treated at 4 o'clock and I would have to make smoothies for 16 year-olds with nicer cars than I would ever own in my life.  Hell at the time I worked there I didn't even have a car.  My grandmother would have to drop me off and my mother would pick me up.  Even though I hated working there I do look back at the time fondly.  I worked with a really cool girl named Crystal and our morning shifts together we pretty fun.  Her departure was really what made me look for other employment and that's how I landed at the Alley Theatre.

While Smoothie King means still means a lot to me in reality my time there didn't mean shit to anyone but me.  I ventured to Smoothie King after work today to see how the old place looked.  There were some changes but the places that meant anything to me were exactly the same.  The prices were a dollar more on every smoothie and no one I know still works there.  I made casual conversation with the girl at the register and then I did the worst thing I could have possibly done.  I name dropped the old owner and said I use to work there.  As if this would make me and this stranger at the register best friends.  I have no idea why I did it.  Maybe I was trying to reclaim the memories of the job I fucking hated for 2 and a half years.  Or maybe I didn't want to have to pay five goddamn dollars for a 20 oz. smoothie.  Either way I walked out of that store ashamed and in tears.

I guess what I am really trying to say is at a job NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT YOU AFTER YOU LEAVE.  If you are still clinging to whatever job you use to have, let it go.  You'll just end up looking as stupid as I did and please for the love of God don't mention your last job every 3 min at your current job.  That's worst than writing a blog no one reads or writing a blog entry about Smoothie King.

In Other News...

Gamefly is fucking brilliant. Gamefly is essentially Netflix for videogames. I am a devote gamer. I was baptized in a pool of Nintendo, I drank the blood Sony and I [insert random Christian tradition] of Microsoft. Since receiving my first NES I have had one desire and one desire alone; to waste my life playing video games all the fucking time. Paying for video games is the ONLY reason I have a job. With my recent auto asphyxiation (I’m saying that correctly right? I was in a bad car accident) I have had less money to pay for my bad habit. So I signed up for a Gamefly to keep the urges down. Call it my methadone treatments. Gamefly so far has been great; they have even given me $5 in game dollars to purchase a used game. It’s fucking brilliant. Hook me in with a monthly fee then offer the game at a discounted rate. If I purchase the game for $20 they have my monthly fee, my $20 and they just unloaded an old unpopular game of me because they no longer need that many in stock. As I work in marketing I love it when the company tricks you into spending more money than you ever intended. God Bless this wonderful country.

Picture of the Week

Next Week: I talk about my old job at American General!

No comments: